New poem
This one is an experiment in writting all but the first and last lines in iambic pentameter, around a theme I assigned myself. Why do people say their heart is in their mouth? What does it feel like? And what if it never left?
Abode
My heart has moved into my mouth.
My stained teeth windows rattle with my breath.
Unwashed, they let in very little light.
My curtain lower lip has lost its starch,
drawn upside down like drapes against the draught.
My faded carpet tongue is curling up,
tacked down in spots to cover cavities.
The closet in my throat is crammed with vows,
outgrown and stacked against my old desires.
My bookshelf molars ache under the weight,
sagging at the seams from too much feeling.
Corners of my cheeks hold disappointment,
old bags of morals crushed and gone to mold.
Things are getting lost in all this clutter.
This place was never meant to hold so much.
I cough and spit out something warm.
-----
Hahaha. What happens is a terrible highschool poem. Inject it with the good old dorkitude juices:
My heart has moved into my mouth.
I'll let him stay a week -
how long can shock and sorrow last?
He needs a place to hide.
The settling in was startling, I'll admit.
First thing, my heart unstarched my upper lip,
and now it trembles with the breeze.
He stained my teeth like fences,
not a colour I'd have picked.
But still, my heart deserves some peace.
He naps all day, wrapped up, and snug,
and snoring in my tongue.
His sleep is full of muttering
and he keeps me up at night.
The rest is what he needs, I know, I know.
I hold my breath and tiptoe with my words.
He's stacked his stale resentments
in the basement of my throat.
We're molar deep in disappointments -
and all my cavities are filled.
He needs a place to store them, just, you know,
my mouth was never meant to hold so much.
A week should see him out the door, and fit.
I'm sure a week will cure his little pains.
He says he's broken, but he's just depressed.
Time heals all wounds, I tell my heart,
give it a week, and you'll move on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home