Thursday, September 09, 2004

The weather could not be more gorgeous...

I took Oscar to the Dog Park, and have been nauseatingly useful. I took all my culled clothes to Beacon's Closet, where they disappointingly bought only a few things. Still, I got my food money for the week, and they donate the rest to a women's shelter, so that makes me really happy. I also sorted out the details for the wedding I am doing on Shelter Island next weekend, and sat myself down and made a weekly budget. I have never stuck to a budget before, but I'm serious about this. I'm afraid the transition between my old salary and new is more significant in practice than it seems on paper. I'm dismayed to see how little "fun" money I have when I put aside 10% for savings, 10% for charity, and 10% for the Christmas fund. (With a family my size it is never too early, and this might even be too late!) Still, I can't really enjoy that 30% of my money when I feel guilty and worried.

I must sound like I am become a horribly boring goody two shoes, but really, the new fall weather makes me want a fresh start on so many things. Fall, much more than spring, has always seemed to me like an important time to take stock of things and sort stuff out.

And really, with this dog and the job, I don't have that much time to spend my money in ways that I care about, so I've been overcompensating in the lunch-and-snack food area. I'd rather save it and spend it on big chunks I can really savour when I have a day off, that dribble it away $10 at a time on sandwiches and tea I can make at home.

Yay responsibility!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home