Friday, October 08, 2004

I have been labouring under

of what critics are calling the Worst Cold in History. Or maybe the plauge. I could feel it coming on by Friday, and foolishly decided that spending a damp Saturday walking in the park and riding the Prospect Park Carousel (but it has a giraffe!!!) wouldn't hurt me a bit. Saying that cold and damp promote illness is sooo 1604. Whether or not it's true, I've been sweating out my penance in bed. For some reason, when healthy, nourishing foods are what I need, I'm instead craving the nastiest calorie-laden, nutrition-free food-substitutes I can find, along the lines of pink lemonade, cheese doodles, and chocolate pudding. My roommates were disturbed by my aspect when I stumbled into the kitchen this morning. "Dude, you look rough!" said Bernie. "Do you want some Echinacea tincture in your tea?" asked Liz. I could only make gurgling sounds and rush to the bathroom in search of a multi-hecatre de-foresting's worth of kleenex. Oscar has been veryunderstanding about it all, little red hot-water bottle that he is, only pressing his ice cold nose to my feet when he ABSOLUTELY has to pee.

I had to miss the big flower installation for the Alfie movie premire, which party is going on as we speak. I am unspeakably bummed, since I am going to have to drag myself into work tomorrow to the beetle-browed scowls of the boss,and will probably be banished to the vase-washing dungeon for a week.

I still think it was worth it. Any day that involves the Tea Lounge, revolving giraffes, photography, Kids in the Hall, more amazingly delicious southern food than even I could pack into my gullet, The Muppets, Game 3 (eat it, Red Socks - Nineteeen Eighteeeen!) a roof-top view that seemed to encompass all five bouroughs and maybe one or two extra ones, and exceedly pleasant conversation about halloween costumes and Pepe the King Prawn is at least a fair trade for a few days of hacking lung particles into my consumptive handkerchief. We've all got to die someday.


And now I think I will go make myself eat some brown rice and ketchup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home